Sunday, July 8, 2012

In and Out

In:

We've been processing.

That's right.  We already had a pumpkin.  I cooked it on the grill.

We're saving part of it for later, and using some for a carrot/pumpkin soup tonight.

Zucchini and cucumber pickles.

Out:
I realized there's been a lot we've done here and there that I haven't written about.  The potato plants sagged over, so we dismantled the plateau.  We got a few potatoes out of it, and they were yummy!  The bulk of our summer squashes were decimated by aphids.  There were just so many that we pulled them up and sent them to the trash.  We still have the two on the end, one of which was producing the best zucchinis, and we always have the orchard to the northwest that we can stop by to supplement our needs.  Since our pumpkin was so early, we decided to put a couple more seed down to see if we can get another one before Halloween.  And since there was room, we put in a couple of more summer squash seeds, just in case...

Sunflower from the County Fair.

Carrots aplenty in our yard.

I was thinking about how we need to watch for the leaf-footed stink bugs...

...when I pulled the camera away from my face and noticed this little bugger.
 We squish them when we can.  Powder or spray them when we can't.  These little buggers fly away if you don't get them the first time, but we did notice a herd of newborns and we got out the powder and gave them a big puff.  Hopefully that wipes most of them out.  I hate when they dig into the blossom end of the pomegranates.  Yuk.

No comments:

Post a Comment