Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Soft Boiled Eggs a la Compost, Anyone?

The compost was hot enough to start cooking the egg.  Soft-boiled?
 Why, oh why would we through a whole egg in the compost you might ask?  Because on Saturday I noticed these...

FYI- the next three photos are gross.  Why I even looked at the bird poo close enough to notice the white bits moving is beyond understanding even for me.  Although I guess it makes me a good momma hen for catching what could have become a big problem.


See the white bits?

See how they move?

Yuck.
So after I realized my eyes weren't playing tricks on me I ran inside and hopped onto some of our favorite chicken sites to see if anyone had posted questions or comments about something similar.  And they had, though there was disagreement over whether it was round worm or tape worm given it's very un-wormlike appearance in the poo.

 Either way, I had to get to the feed store to see if they had anything since they'd be closed the next day and I wasn't going to just let it go until Monday, 'cause ewww!  We gave them the medicine Sunday, and frankly I'm not sure how it's doing since I took the above photos today and the bits are still moving.

As for the eggs, we're not supposed to eat them for two weeks.  It's such a waste.  I feel like the chickens are watching my every move as I collect their eggs and head to the compost.

You put them WHERE?!?!

How could you?

Huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment