Friday, June 3, 2011

Kids just kinda take over, don't they?

Wow.  So as I've searched the photo archives of our life here, I've discovered a few things.  I take a LOT of photos.  And since we started having kids (April of '04), I've taken quite a few photos of the kids.  And I tend to zoom in on my subjects.  Which means photos of the metamorphosis of the yard have been hard to come by.

Some of our first vegetable gardening involved container gardening.  We were worried about the summer sun being too much here, so we kept them on the south side of the house under the shade of a young tree.  The plants got plenty of morning sun, but were protected from the afternoon sun.  We trained grape vines to be our patio cover.  The big leaves make great shade in the summer, then drop off to let in the light in the winter.



At some point we stopped playing horseshoes and tried to plant a tree in place of the pipe that was in the middle of the grass.  Around the tree we put in pumpkins and watermelons.  I think we tried two different trees there, but neither took.  We did have a few cute pumpkins for Halloween, and even though the watermelons were little they actually had great flavor.




I'm sure I'll have more luck finding photos of the garden from the last year, but that'll have to wait until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment