Sweet Hermoine has been at the top of the pecking order for all of her time here in our yard. She is one of the two surviving members of the original chicken shipment. And for all of that time had been in charge.
Until now.
A couple of days ago, I went out for my nightly check to make sure everyone made it in the coop and on a roost. I found one of the older girls on the floor. It was dark and I wasn't sure who it was, but I could just tell that it was an older girl when I picked her up. The next morning I went out to shut the side door and found Hermoine still on the roost looking down in the dumps.
I took her out and let her roam around the mustard area outside of the run, and she seemed happy as a clam. Until I wired up a fence and let the others out. She was cowering from even the youngest birds. And worse, she would run over to Sunflower for protection and even she was pecking at her. That night she didn't even want to get into the coop and I found her hiding in the new nesting boxes.
She is not taking the dethroning well. We might have to make soup out her just to put her out of her misery.
| The new nesting boxes. Double decker, four boxes in each row. |
| "I'm not the wimpiest chicken anymore. Watcha gonna do about it?" |
| Hiding Hermoine |
| Do you still like me? |
No comments:
Post a Comment